Module 2: Operations - Board and Staff
Community Futures Board members fulfill five major leadership functions: decision maker, advisor, trustee, perpetuator and leader. This module examines these functions and the critical principles underlying them.
- Examine principles such as accountability and transparency
- Describe the relationship between the Board, management and staff
- Understand the organizational structures and composition of a Board
- Discuss the concept of Board sustainability
Module 3: Legal Responsibilities of Boards
The purpose of this module is to familiarize Directors with the legal environment that exists for Community Futures and the legal framework within which they provide leadership.
- Learn how to understand and apply the legal guidelines governing Community Futures Directors
- Identify the circumstances that create liability for Directors
- Review how Boards can protect themselves against liability
Module 4: Financial Management of a Non-Profit Organization
This module demonstrates the relationship between financial management and the long-range goals that Boards must establish. Boards must be able to set financial policies and evaluate their organization’s financial performance.
- Examine how to establish accountability for achieving the objectives set out in the Board’s plans
- Identify the financial reports that are used to measure the financial performance of the organization
- Review financial objectives and audits, and the role of the audit in maintaining accountability
Module 5: Board Development and Evaluation
This module examines the role and accountability of the Board of Directors. Board members must demonstrate leadership through commitment, integrity and teamwork.
- Discuss the importance of advanced Board succession planning and formal recruitment strategies
- Examine on-going development for all Board members
- Understand the importance of a formal Board evaluation process
Module 7: Management Recruitment, Performance, and Evaluation
This module focuses on the recruitment, compensation, and evaluation of the General Manager of Community Futures organizations.
- Review management selection procedures
- Examine compensation packages and levels
- Discuss performance planning and evaluation
- Learn how to deal with performance concerns
Module 8: Board Leadership
This module allows participants to evaluate their skills as leaders in the capacity of a Community Futures Board member, and enhance their abilities as a strong leader.
- Examine styles of leadership
- Discuss self evaluation and strategies for effective leadership
- Review the Director’s role in exercising leadership
- Identify steps the Boards can take to exercise leadership within the not-for-profit sector and within the community
Module 12: So You Want To Be a Chair - Chairing With Confidence
This module examines the Chair's roles and responsibilities as they relate to the public, stakeholders, partners, funders, the corporation, Board Members, and Community Futures staff. (3.5hr session)
- Learn how to approach the role of Chair with skill and confidence
- Understand the roles and responsibilities associated with the Chair's position
- Discuss the specific skills required to be a Chair
- Examine how to support their Chair and work together as a strong team